Dr. Perricone recently appeared on Oprah to talk about his 10 Superfoods. Number six on his list was green foods. Green foods include young cereal grasses like barley grass and wheatgrass. These grasses are closely related to the dark leafy vegetables we are told to eat, but they are more nutrient dense. In other words green foods are like the concentrated version of green vegetables.
“Fifteen pounds of wheatgrass is equal in overall nutritional value to over 350 pounds of ordinary vegetables.”
In the 1930s scientists started studying grasses to identify its nutritional value so they could include it in animal feed. Enter Dr Charles F Schnabel, an agricultural chemist, who found that hens that ate young grasses recovered from poor health and produced eggs at a higher rate. Excited by his findings, Schnabel started drying and powdering the grasses for his friends and family to supplement their diets. Repeated experiments with the hens garnered similar results and he began promoting his discovery to feed mills, chemist and the food industry. By the early 1940s you could buy tins of Schnabel’s dry grass powder all across North America.
So what exactly did Schnabel find out about young cereal grasses?
Through his experimentation, Schnabel found that cereal grasses are at peak nutritional value at the reproductive stage. At this stage the levels of chlorophyll, protein and vitamins are at their highest. Chlorophyll, which gives plants and algae their green hues, is the equivalent of the oxygen-carrying red pigment hemoglobin in red blood cells. As a result, green foods have been found to have marked beneficial effects on cholesterol, blood pressure, immune response and cancer prevention.
In the 1950s Schnabel’s powdered wheatgrass was “dethroned” by One-A-Day Multiple vitamins. It was at this time that there was a movement towards technology and people began to think that “man-made” was better than “nature-made”. Technology created bigger fruits and vegetables with plant hormones, fertilizers and pesticides. Food production increased, but it came at the expense of our soil, air, water and ultimately our health.
Thankfully, there is a current movement back to nature-made. People are beginning to better understand the environmental and health benefits of organic foods and farming. Armed with the realization that our bodies assimilate naturally occurring vitamins and minerals better than synthetic vitamins, there is a movement back to the natural supplements that first emerged over 60 years ago.
Here at Oceanic Naturals, we wanted to create a natural supplement that brought together some of the best green foods found on land and sea to help improve your overall health and well-being. These greens add vitality and energy while helping support the body’s ability to regenerate and repair itself. That’s why we introduced Tidal Greens – A Multi-Nutrient Seaweed Blend.
Let’s take a look at the benefits of Tidal Greens:
- Added benefit of shark cartilage for healthy skin, eyes and bones.
- Green tea for energy, vitality, anti-oxidant power and weight control.
- A special ingredient not found in most greens products-Alpha Lipoic Acid. This Aids your body in the efficient use of energy – with it you use your nutrients and food more efficiently and get farther with less intake.
- Added benefit of alfalfa powder, a rich source of vitamins and minerals for energy, healthy liver, healthy bladder and overall detoxification.
- Added benefit of barley and wheat grasses for healthy blood sugar levels, healthy cholesterol and weight control, an excellent source of chlorophyll.
- Added benefit of kale an excellent source of many vitamins for eye health and vitality.
- Added benefit of Brussels sprouts for anti-oxidant power and folic acid
- Added benefit of Broccoli for immune boosting power, anti-oxidant boost and overall energy and vitality.
- Added benefit of grape seed extract for eye health, skin health and heart health.
The sea is the source of all life and Oceanic Naturals brings it to you in a convenient, easy to take dietary supplement. The ingredients contained in Tidal Greens will not only help you feel better but will also provide you with better stamina, better sleep and better mental alertness. Most people notice an improvement in energy and overall feeling of well-being within 14 days of product use.
Years of research has shown that regular consumption of green foods has a very positive affect on one’s health. So go ahead, follow your mother’s advice and “eat your greens” with Tidal Greens.